Be it hair, make-up, or style, most of us love to use all that fancy gunk that promises the quickest results. But rapid fixes always come with a cost. Unknown to you, there are a bunch of chemicals hiding in the ingredients of your favorite shampoo. So how do you know which shampoo elements to avoid? How do you choose the perfect products to give your hair that lustrous sheen that it craves? We’ve taken care to list out the chief keys to look out for when buying your hair products. Many people ask me how to protect hair from damage? My answer is to follow these hair care tips and avoid harmful shampoo.
- Look out for any shampoos that have any ingredients which are sulfates. Many of these sulfate ingredients are also called Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate, or Sodium Laureth Sulphate. You must away from these because they tend to strip your hair of its natural oils and make it dry and brittle. Colored hair cannot withstand sulfates as using shampoos with sulfates fades them away.
- Alcohol is another secret ingredient that you should scrupulously avoid. When your shampoo’s alcohol ingredient begins with ‘prop’ or has this anywhere in its name, make sure you stay away from that shampoo. But if it has a product that starts with the letters ‘c’ or ‘s,’ it is probably good for you. These alcohol types are not as awful as the others because it does not dry out your hair. Instead, it helps retain the underlying moisture.
- ‘Fragrance’ is an ingredient in your shampoo that hides other notorious elements that could harm the health of your hair. Try your best to stay away from your shampoo product if it has any component or ingredient named ‘fragrance’ written in it.
- Another scary ingredient that you must stay away from is Parabens. This ingredient is added to products thanks to its preservative nature. Parabens also play a role in increasing breast cancer cells, in turn leading to cancer.
- Formaldehyde is another popular shampoo or hair ingredient. We have all read this on the ingredients list of many shampoos and soaps in the supermarket. This chemical is also a preservative, much like parabens. Formaldehyde also causes cancer in humans. Other names for formaldehyde would be formalin, methylene, or quaternion-15. These ingredients damage your hair, so you need to avoid those in your routine hair care.
- Try your best to look out for silicones, like dimethicone. Silicone ingredients will almost always have the cone in their name, making it easier to spot them. Silicones tend to make your hair greasy, irritating your scalp. The scalp is like skin too, and using products with silicone only clogs your pores and makes you feel itchy and annoyed. I use nexxus aloe rid gentle clarifying shampoo which has all the natural ingredients that i want.